My Moment - Day 32 - Moonshot

If you have not gotten a chance to read my blog about my #oneword for 2016, check out Enjoy the Moment.

As I mentioned in my blog, my #oneword is a call to action for me to be mindful of the moments that make up my day. The moments at home, the moments at work and the moments that happen in between.

What is your "moonshot"? 

If you are a staff member at Sigler Elementary, you have heard me say "I am ready to do school differently." I mean that. I have written about it before. (See My Moment Day 8) When I say, "I am ready to do school differently", I am not talking about changing the master schedule or changing how we approach guided reading or math instruction. I am talking about organizational transformation. 

I have commented on more than one occasion, the work I have been involved in with the Texas Principals Visioning Institute (#TXPVI) which you could say is doing the work at a macro level, in comparison to the work I am involved in with Plano Leadership Visioning Institute (#PLVI) which instead of administrators from across the state of Texas is comprised of administrators from my own school district; a micro level. 

By definition, we define organizational transformation as not about changing one thing; it is about changing the culture or mind-set on the campus where what students and teachers are doing is different. 

That is a loaded statement...changing the culture or mind-set on the campus where what students and teachers are doing is different. 

Doing what is different is not always popular. Sometimes doing what is different is so far out there that leaders who desire to transform organizations can be viewed as...well..."a little crazy". With no disrespect to those with the opinion that I am "a little crazy", it is going to take a "little crazy" for us to do things differently. 

Today, as leaders from across my great district were sharing their vision for how they are going to do things differently, some shared with a reservation in their voice or a hesitation of "can we really do this"? Our facilitator picked up on the questioning of ourselves and asked if we had heard of the word, "moonshot"? To her surprise not a single one of us had, so we looked it up with the help of our friends at UrbanDictionary.com


I literally spent the rest of my day answering the question, "What is my moonshot?" Everyone in education should have a "moonshot". We teach our students to dream big and set goals. This is our example to model having big dreams and setting goals with our students. Share your "moonshot". 

I am not ready to post my "moonshot". I am still working through how to capture it in words, but what I do know is that "my moonshot" will be epic and I know it will be something that changes the culture or mind-set on our campus where what students and teachers are doing will be different. 

Can you articulate your "moonshot"? Share your "moonshot" in the comments below. Be EPIC! 

What was your moment today? 

Labels: , , , , , , ,