My Moment - Day 49 - Connections

If you have not gotten a chance to read my blog about my #oneword for 2016, check out Enjoy the Moment.

As I mentioned in my blog, my #oneword is a call to action for me to be mindful of the moments that make up my day. The moments at home, the moments at work and the moments that happen in between.

I have previously shared moments about the power of being a connected educator. 

As my PDAS conferences are winding down, I have been using a part of my time with teachers to discuss my work with #TXPVI (which I have previously as well). A large part of the work revolves around the idea of transformation and changing the way we approach our instructional methods. To guide the transformation on my campus, we have been using Alan November's "Transformational 6". I find these six questions deep and powerful when it comes to truly integrating technology to strengthen instruction across our campus. 

As a part of our discussion, I sent out the six questions prior, having the teachers choose which one resonates with them and then share how we can begin addressing the question with their current practices. I believe George Couros calls that moving a teacher from their point A to their point B.  

My conversation today involved a teacher who would interested in learning more about question #4:


Are there opportunities to broaden the perspective of the conversation with authentic audiences from around the world?

The teacher shared a little bit about the units of study they had been working through and the literature that accompanied them. The students in her small reading group had recently been reading about rural areas, specifically in Thailand and Argentina. She also shared they had a unit coming up that would focus around a variety of different sporting events with pieces of literature that would match. 

She had done her research and share two links with me, that I am interested in learning more about. They are iearn & Around the World with 80 Schools. Are you familiar with either of these? I would love to hear your thoughts? 

Knowing she was interested in connecting her students with students in two specific countries, we sent out the following tweet, including some of our connected colleagues. 


Before our conversation had ended, the tweet had been retweeted and responses were beginning to come in. 


We found a possible connection and then even a resource that may lead to additional connections. 

Later in the day, our friend Mandy, even offered to look up a Google+ Community for us to invest in more connections. 

Top top it all off, the connection that was recommended to us, @gret happened to reach out and let us know she is interested in helping. 


Listen, these types of connections happen! This is a perfect example of the power of being a connected educator. One tweet, sent from an office in Plano, TX, made it's way to Argentina in a matter of a couple hours. 

The connections are there, just waiting to be made. All it takes is someone who is willing to open their mind, acknowledge they are taking a risk and know they are doing so to provide experiences to students, that otherwise would not exist. I am excited to see how this connection will "broaden the perspective of the conversation with authentic audiences from around the world." 

Our students deserve this! Stay tuned. 

What was your moment today? 

Labels: , , , ,