My Moment - Day 46 - Picture Day

If you have not gotten a chance to read my blog about my #oneword for 2016, check out Enjoy the Moment.

As I mentioned in my blog, my #oneword is a call to action for me to be mindful of the moments that make up my day. The moments at home, the moments at work and the moments that happen in between.

The alarm was set earlier than normal today. 

Days like today, require just a little extra time to get ready as the perfect outfit must be selected, with just the right tie and just the right socks, bringing the whole outfit all together. 

Today is class picture day. 

As the principal, each year I am faced with the decision of taking pictures with each of the classes or taking one single picture and then being "superimposed" as if I was really standing there. 

Decisions, decisions. 

If I decide go the superimposed route, I spend about 10 minutes max., getting my picture taken and then the rest of the day belongs to me. I can spend time in the classrooms, finish up appraisals, check emails, return phone calls, be visible in the classrooms or just "swing by", which I wrote about yesterday, as teachers invite me to come to their classrooms. Sounds like a productive day...right? 

If I decide to take pictures with each of the classes, which this year is almost thirty, I am giving up over two hours of my day. In March, two hours of time is an invaluable resource, but I weigh what I would get to do in those two hours, in making my decision. I get to connect with each of our students, which in my case is over 400. I get to listen to students comment on the new outfit they are wearing or the super fancy dress they wore to school because it is picture day. I get to overhear the girls exchange comments about bows in their hair and guys talk about fancy green bow ties that remind them of St. Patrick's Day that is coming up soon. I get to see students smile, laugh and spend time with their friends waiting in line for their pictures. I get to do a lot of things, that make me happy as a principal. That is what I get to do. 

As the final classes made their way through class pictures today, two things happened that I would have never witnessed had I chosen to go the "superimposed" route. Some of our students come to school dressed up, some students come wearing what they would have worn, just like any other school day and then some students "really" dress up, like the young man pictured here. Who would have thought, as I woke up extra earlier this morning to put on my three-piece suit, that there was a 2nd grader getting ready at the same time, putting on his three-piece suit. Two amazing looking gentleman...IMO. This moment we captured will be a great memory for us both.

Then there was this. As a title I, bilingual campus, we are fortunate to have support staff that work right alongside our classroom teachers, meeting the educational needs of our students. Of course, we embrace each of the staff members as teachers and want them all to be included in the class pictures. Some choose not to be, which is fine and some absolutely want to be in the picture. This particular classroom had a total of five adults serving the students at some point in the day, which includes our assistant principal and me. Now, if you know anything about getting students set for pictures, we are able to balance the adults on each of the ends. either having two on one side and one on the other or two and two. Adding the fifth adult makes it tricky, however our talented photographer found a way to make it work and look how the teacher embraced her position. Center stage! It was awesome. She loved it. The staff looking on enjoyed it and the students thought it was funny as well.

As the principal, each year I am faced with the decision of taking pictures with each of the classes or taking one single picture and then being "superimposed" as if I was really standing there. 

Which decision do you think I will make next year? What decision does your building leader make? 

What was your moment today? 

Labels: , , ,