My Moment - Day 40 - Surprisingly Awesome

If you have not gotten a chance to read my blog about my #oneword for 2016, check out Enjoy the Moment.

As I mentioned in my blog, my #oneword is a call to action for me to be mindful of the moments that make up my day. The moments at home, the moments at work and the moments that happen in between.

While listening to Google Play Music over the weekend, I stumbled across an advertisement for a podcast, titled, "Surprisingly Awesome". OK, stumbled across is a stretch...fact is I am cheap and haven't purchased the add free version of Google Play Music, so I stumble across ads regularly. 

"Surprisingly Awesome", which you can read more about here, takes everyday or otherwise "boring" topics and turns them into something...you got it, "surprisingly awesome". I just started listening, but the first podcast was about mold and the second is about free throws. Other topics include concrete, Tubthumping, interest rates, broccoli and adhesives. I think we would all agree, these topics do not scream "listen to this podcast now" but admittedly so, I listened and learned about mold for over thirty minutes today. In the intro, to the podcast Adams Davidson and McKay state the objective is "trying to convince each other that something that seems like it might be really boring is actually really awesome.

Now, place yourself in a classroom...as a student. How many times do students enter classrooms and feel as if what they are about to learn is boring? If students feel it is boring at the beginning of the lesson and feel the same way at the end of the lesson, are they really going to be able to apply their learning? Nope. It's boring! 

Whose responsibility is it to ensure the content students need to engage with is not...boring? Is it the students' job? Sure, we hope they enter the classroom with a mindset to learn. We hope students enter with a mindset to explore, apply and create based upon what the learning target is for the day. We are kidding ourselves if we think that is just going to "happen" for all students. We as educators, must make the learning meaningful. We must make the learning "surprisingly awesome". 

Fractions, history, writing and yes, even reading for some students may be defined as boring. I do not like hearing that as a principal, but the fact of the matter is, some students find certain content areas or areas they are not interested in...boring. 


It is our job as teachers to turn what starts out as boring into something "surprisingly awesome". How can we engage students who must learn about fractions, history, writing and reading and make it awesome for them? It is not doing it the way we have always done and it is not about doing it in a way that works for us. We must demonstrate a growth mindset as educators and think outside of the box. We must find ways to make the learning experiences awesome for students so that at the end of our lessons, what started as boring for students is "surprisingly awesome". 

I would love to hear how you turn boring into "surprisingly awesome" in your classroom?

What was your moment today? 


Labels: , , , , ,