My Moment - Day 29 - Where Are Your Students Going?

If you have not gotten a chance to read my blog about my #oneword for 2016, check out Enjoy the Moment.

As I mentioned in my blog, my #oneword is a call to action for me to be mindful of the moments that make up my day. The moments at home, the moments at work and the moments that happen in between.

Do students in your school know where they are going? I am not talking about what they are doing this weekend or where they are going after school. I am talking about the big picture. Do students in your school know where they are going when they complete all the grade levels you have to offer?

I would like to think the students at Sigler Elementary are familiar with where they are going. Some are aware because they have big brothers or big sisters who have paved the way before them, while others are aware because they are familiar with the neighborhood. For the students who do not have big brothers or big sisters and for the students who are not as familiar with the neighborhood, it is important to me for them to know what campus they will be attending next. Thankfully, it is important to the administration and staff at Wilson Middle School as well. Over the last couple of years we have been working as a feeder system to increase our involvement with one another and exposing our students to what school is like after elementary. At Sigler, we invite students to come back and share experiences as a part of our Future's Day Speaker Series, administrators are invited to come speak with students, counselors come visit with our 5th grade students and when schedules work, the jazz band and cheerleaders will join us for a spirit assembly or two. At Wilson, our 5th grade students spend a day on campus, as if they are already in 6th grade. They participate in a spirit assembly, eat lunch in the cafeteria and hear from current middle school students about what they can expect when they do become 6th graders. They do all of this in the coolest of tie-dyed t-shirts compliments of Wilson. Our growing partnership with one another is healthy! I want it to continue to grow. 

As a part of our partnership, today, students in the Theater 3 class at Wilson Middle School came to Sigler to perform their musical, Swamp Land. I love seeing middle school students come back to an elementary school and listen to the memories they share. I love seeing middle school students come back to their old elementary school as was the case today. We had one of our former Sigler students return as a member of the theater class. We had a few minutes to catch up and I had a few minutes to speak with his grandfather who accompanied the middle school students. It was great. I was proud of this young man's accomplishments and enjoyed hearing his grandfather perspective on his grandson's middle school experience. 

Throughout the last five years the relationship between Sigler Elementary and Wilson Middle School has blossomed. I am encouraged by the relationships and connections we have created with administrators, counselors and teachers and would like to think, in some small way, we are preparing our students to have a better understanding of where they are going. 

What types of things do you do to partner with your feeder campuses?

What was your moment today? 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,