My Moment - Day 24 - 3 Questions

If you have not gotten a chance to read my blog about my #oneword for 2016, check out Enjoy the Moment. 

As I mentioned in my blog, my #oneword is a call to action for me to be mindful of the moments that make up my day. The moments at home, the moments at work and the moments that happen in between.

I received a message via Twiter today from a teacher within my PLN who was pitching an idea she wanted my feedback on. After she shared her idea, she posed the following questions: 




"Wouldn't that help build capacity in our teachers?" 
"Better together, right?"
"Would you be on board?"

Those three questions...I have been thinking about them since seeing them this afternoon. I completely respect this member of my PLN and am honored that she asked me for my input. I was inspired by her challenging the status quo. 

As I have had some additional time to reflect on her idea and even now as I am starring at the three questions she asked me, I am thinking, This teacher gets it! 

"Wouldn't that help build capacity in our teachers?" 

This is the essence of leadership right? Building capacity within our teachers. Growing our people. It is a responsibility I fully embrace and recognize it cannot be done solely by the campus principal. Yes, I play a huge role in building capacity, but I appreciate this teachers stance. She recognizes the teachers as "our" teachers. Not mine and theirs, but ours. This question is one I need to ask myself daily. I would like my teacher leaders to ask this question daily. "Did I help build capacity in our teachers today?"

"Better together, right?"

You ever try to create a plan, articulate a vision and walk that vision out daily? On your own? How did that work out for you? I know it would not work out very well for me. This teacher is spot on. We are better together. This past week at #TCEA16, Steven Anderson shared, "You may be sitting next to the smartest person you don't know." We must do this work together. If we bring teachers together, knock down the barriers (aka...school walls) and allow teachers to collaborate with like minded individuals, we WILL be better together. No doubt about it. 

"Would you be on board?"

Absolutely! I would hope that would be the emphatic response from all school leaders. As a building leader, I feel a tremendous amount of pressure in trying to get people on board with ideas. Sometimes the ideas are mine, sometimes the ideas belong to someone else. At the end of the day, it is not about who had the idea, it is about who has the best idea. 

This teacher presented an idea that will without a doubt, be transformative, build capacity in our teachers and bring great teachers and great practices together, making us all better. You bet I am on board. 

Let's do it! 

What was your moment today? 

Labels: , , , , ,