My Moment - Day 9 - Relationships Matter

If you have not gotten a chance to read my blog about my #oneword for 2016, check out Enjoy the Moment. 
As I mentioned in my blog, my #oneword is a call to action for me to be mindful of the moments that make up my day. The moments at home, the moments at work and the moments that happen in between.

Mr. Arend,


It's been a while since we've talked! I remember winning the "Yes Sir Award" back in your 5th grade class at Centennial. I hope things are going well! I am currently at Texas A&M majoring in Kinesiology and looking to graduate in the next year. After college I am seeking to be a teacher/football coach and need help on how to go about this! I go back to school on the 18th and was seeing if you were available to meet up sometime (maybe I can bring lunch up to your school)? I am looking forward to seeing you!

The message above arrived in my inbox this week at work. The young man who wrote this email was in my 5th grade class in 2004. My second year of teaching. The #moment I read his email, I instantly went back to my classroom days and had fond memories of the time I spent with the students in my classroom. Reading this email (even again this evening, as I type this) I am reminded just how important the relationships we cultivate with students are. This email proves it. Here is a young man who is one year away from graduating college, back home over the winter break, seeking out his former 5th grade teacher asking for career advice. His mom is a teacher. He kind of knows how this works. Yet, he sought me out. 

I have to admit, I feel like I did something right. I read this email a couple of times, before responding. I was so honored and humbled. 

This afternoon, just after twelve o'clock, my former 5th grade student, the current Aggie, sat down with me and we caught up. He shared some of his college experiences, what he desires to do upon graduation and asked me some questions regarding how he could best go about securing a teaching/coaching position after graduation. We talked, we looked through the yearbook from 2004, which I proudly keep on my book shelf and laughed at both of our pictures. I was able to walk him around the building ending our time together with a great selfie. 

I am proud of this young man and I look forward to hearing from him as he completes his final year of college. 

As you walk into your classroom's tomorrow or the next day or three months from now...do not underestimate the power you possess as a classroom teacher. The relationships you cultivate with your students matter. 

It is my hope that each teacher, at some point in their career, receives an email like this and is able to spend a #moment with a former student. 

Certainly one of my best #moments. 

What was your #moment today? 

Labels: , , , ,