My Moment - Day 14 - No Matter What

If you have not gotten a chance to read my blog about my #oneword for 2016, check out Enjoy the Moment. 


As I mentioned in my blog, my #oneword is a call to action for me to be mindful of the moments that make up my day. The moments at home, the moments at work and the moments that happen in between.

I walk up and down the halls of Sigler Elementary often, going to and from, talking with students and teachers, doing walkthroughs and delivering messages, but today I found myself walking up and down the hallway, just listening. As I walked down the hallway with no other purpose than to listen, soaking up the sounds of teachers teaching and students learning, I walked past a teacher who had stepped outside her classroom to speak with a student in the hallway. As I walked closer, I could not see who the student was, but I could clearly see the teacher. As I got closer, I started noticing the teachers body language; bent down, looking the student in the eyes and leaning in, towards the student ever so slightly. It was obvious, this conversation had nothing to do with behavior. It was a conversation between a teacher and a student about something so much more. I wondered what could be going on, what could they be talking about, and then as I passed by, purposefully keeping myself out of their conversation, I heard it. I heard a phrase that every student should hear from their teacher. A phrase that proves #relationshipsmatter. As I passed by, I heard the teacher tell this student, "No matter what, I want you to know, you can always tell me anything." 

This teacher gets it. This teacher stopped her instruction to remind this student that #relationshipsmatter. She has a connection with this student. A relationship that goes beyond teacher and student. The student trusts her. 

The demands of public education are higher than ever, but never forget "students do not care how much you know, until they know how much you care". 

What was your moment today? 

Labels: , , , , , ,