My Moment - Day 12 - I Need...

If you have not gotten a chance to read my blog about my #oneword for 2016, check out Enjoy the Moment. 


As I mentioned in my blog, my #oneword is a call to action for me to be mindful of the moments that make up my day. The moments at home, the moments at work and the moments that happen in between.

I love doing observations. It does not matter if it is a walk-through, a formal observation or just sitting in the back of the room, I love doing observations. I love seeing the students interact with one another. I love seeing the students perseverance as they overcome, solving a difficult word problem and I love the excite students demonstrate when they reach success. I love doing observations. 

I was able to complete a formal observation today, after returning to campus following a morning of principal updates. As a settled in with my laptop, ready to document the next forty-five minutes, I was able to witness the following exchange between a teacher and student: 

(In order to set the stage, the teacher and student were playing with a classic wooden train set, piecing together the tracks for the train to travel on. The teacher purposefully kept a few of the pieces off to the side, because the true purpose behind playing with the trains was providing the student with the opportunity to respond to the question, "What do you need..." with the response, "I need...")


Teacher: "What piece do you need next?"

Student: "I need that piece. (pointing to the piece he needed)"


Teacher: "Great job using, I need. What do you need next? Do you see the pieces I have over here? Do you need these pieces?"

Student: ...

After wait time

Teacher: "Do you need one of the pieces I have over here?"

Student: ...

After wait time

Teacher: "I have a piece you may need. Do you need any more pieces?"

Student: "I need...to go to the bathroom."

We all burst out in laughter, clearly not expecting that particular "I need" statement as the student exited the room, to use the bathroom. 

The brief #moment of laughter, reminded me of the power of laughter. The brief moment we spent laughing, allowed everyone in the room to forget about everything else and just enjoy the #moment. 

How often do we get caught up in the day to day and forget to stop and smile or stop and laugh. Smiling and laughing brings joy to our lives and the lives around us. 

What was your #moment today? 


Labels: , , ,