My Moment - Day 11

If you have not gotten a chance to read my blog about my #oneword for 2016, check out Enjoy the Moment. 


As I mentioned in my blog, my #oneword is a call to action for me to be mindful of the moments that make up my day. The moments at home, the moments at work and the moments that happen in between.

It is the middle of the school year. I am a principal at a bilingual campus. Those two combinations mean I have the privilege of sitting down with our Language Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC) to discuss the progress of our limited English proficient students (LEP). Our committee does a great job of highlighting strengths and non-strengths of our students and teachers masterfully make instructional adjustments to meet the varied needs of LEP students within their classrooms. 

We held our LPAC meetings today for students in grades 3rd-5th, but by the time we concluded, signed off on all the necessary documents and grabbed a bite to eat (and by eat I mean have three conversations with food in my mouth) most of the day had already passed. I had not gotten much of a chance to see or speak with many of our students or teachers. I was still searching for my #moment. 

Dismissal time came and while I do my best to be present in the front of the building during carpool, I have yet to find a way to be there and in the back of the building where our buses dismiss. Today I made the decision to check out the back of the building. On my way to the back of the building to wave good-bye as the buses pulled away, I figured I could do one better and just ride the bus. So I did! 


Students looked excited, right? (My appreciation for our bus drivers multiplied during my 10 minutes on the bus) What you do not see in this picture is the young man sitting next to me. The young man who was having a bad day. The young man who needed the principal to sit next to him. The young man who needed the principal to sit next time him, not because he could not sit by himself, because he needed someone to listen to him. He had just completed what we would all consider to be a "rough day". He had done his personal best to hold it together all day, but by the end of it, he just couldn't hold it together any longer and made some decisions, well...let's just say it was "not his best". 

What was supposed to be just an innocent bus ride for me, turned into an opportunity to have a #moment. This young man and I were able to spend a little time together. He needed it and so did I. I hadn't been able to really see or speak to many of our students today, but I found myself right where I needed to be, without knowing I needed to be there. (Amazing how that can happen if you are present and visible as a campus leader.)

As we exited the bus, the young man, who I was able to spend a little time with found his brother and headed towards their father. (It is always fun to the see the faces of the students when the principal gets on the bus, but if you think those faces are great, wait until you see the faces of the parents, who are waiting at the bus stop, when the principal is the first person off the bus.) I was able to speak with dad, who was very interested in knowing how his son's day went and I know they were able to spend some quality father/son time this evening. 

During a day, in which I was searching for my #moment, I realized, sometimes the #moment finds you. 

What was your #moment today? 



Labels: , , , ,