Enjoy the Moment - Day 3 - "Keep it 100"

If you have not gotten a chance to read my blog about my #oneword for 2016, check out Enjoy the Moment. 

As I mentioned in my blog, my #oneword is a call to action for me to be mindful of the moments that make up my day. The moments at home, the moments at work and the moments that happen in between. 

One of the things I love most about returning from winter break is hearing about the gifts students received and seeing the new clothes our students come to school in. 

The first week back from break is not a busy one for me as far as meetings and being off campus, so I have been relishing the time I have on campus and spending much of it in classrooms and connecting with students in the hallways. This afternoon I was walking by our cafeteria during one of those times where one grade level is entering, one grade level is exiting and I found myself smack dab in the middle of the transition. Instead of fighting my way through the near 150 students, I simply planted some roots and gave high fives, hugs and exchanged smiles with as many of them as I could. As lines dwindled and my high fives ceased, I could not help but notice an outfit on one of our students. His t-shirt, vest and pants were a combination I had never seen and the words "Keep it 100" were printed squarely on the center of the t-shirt with the number 100 scattered across the vest and pants. Upon seeing this, I had to let this young man know just how amazing I thought he was dressed and out of my own curiosity, I had to ask him, "What does "Keep it 100" mean?" The following dialogue occurred:


Student: "Um, I don't know. Getting a 100 on a test? My mom got this for me." 
Me: "So if I saw you on the street this weekend and I told you to "Keep it 100" that would mean you need to get a 100 on your test? 
Student: shrugging his shoulders "Um, yes?"
Me: "Do you take tests on Saturdays?"
Student: laughing "No."
Me: "So then what does "Keep it 100" mean?"
Student: "I do not know? Can we look it up?"
Me: "Of course."

So we take a moment and look up the term "Keep it 100". What in the world did we do before Urban Dictionary? I take a glance at the definition and share the following sentence: 

"I gotta stay focused and keep it 100 these last few weeks of high school so I can get into college." 

As soon as I finished sharing the sentence the student's eyes lit up and he said, "I know what it means! It means you need to stay focused!" (not exactly, but in this #moment, I thought it was the perfect response)

I gave a high five and told him to "Keep it 100" and he was on his way. This comical back and forth was just the #moment I needed in the middle of my day. I never lose appreciation for the innocence our students possess. 

Until my next #moment, you know I am going to "keep it 100". 

What was your #moment today? 


Labels: , , ,