Enjoy the Moment - Day 2

If you have not gotten a chance to read my blog about my #oneword for 2016, check out Enjoy the Moment. 

As I mentioned in my blog, my #oneword is a call to action for me to be mindful of the moments that make up my day. The moments at home, the moments at work and the moments that happen in between.

The second semester of school officially began today as students returned after teachers had a professional learning day yesterday. As expected, we had students that did not return. Some withdrew and enrolled in another campus within the district, some moved to another district within the state and unfortunately, there are some students that were not there today and we hope they return tomorrow. However, for each student that did not return, we had one that enrolled and today was their first day. Throughout the morning we had five new students enroll. It is exciting to get to know the students and families as they complete the enrollment paperwork. I get to know their names, their interests, what they liked most about their previous campus and sometimes what they didn't like. It's amazing how much or how little you can find out about students while they are waiting for their parents to complete paperwork. Every now and then parents will come to enroll and not have all of the necessary documentation they need for their children to begin. They fill out what they can, take some items with them or let us know they will be back later in the day with the documents they need for their child to begin.

After a conversation with one mother and daughter today, it became obvious they did not have everything they needed and they would be coming back later. I said my good-bye and went about my day. After about fifteen minutes, I was informed they were still in the front office and were interested in being shown around. They asked if I had a #moment.

The minute I let them know we could walk around, this soon to be Sigler student, would not stop smiling. She was able to walk around her new school and of course, it was better than her old one. Her mother was so excited to be able to see where her daughter would be checking out books, eating lunch, attending music, art and PE and where exactly her daughter's grade level was. As we made our way back to the office, I asked the young lady what she thought, "This school is awesome." "It's better than my old school."

It was worth the #moment.

I love showing parents and students around our campus and take great pride in the program we offer our community. It would have been easy for me to ask someone else to show them around or let them know we would do it tomorrow when they returned, but I needed a #moment and so did they.

They asked if I had a #moment to show them around. Little did they know, it was the #moment I would share with you.

What was your #moment today?

Labels: , , ,